If you’re looking for skin care products for sensitive skin, acne scar treatment, acne spot treatment, acne face wash, or acne medication options on a budget, then read on!
So… I’ve had acne since I was 16. 🙁
I tried all the usual things – changing my diet, drinking more water, wearing less/breathable makeup, etc. – none of these things worked well enough for me to get rid of my acne completely.
As a 20-something-year-old now, my acne’s started to go away by itself, and I’ve come to find that my acne’s more hormonal than anything – not because I don’t wash my face enough or because I use the wrong products.
And the sucky part is that my skin is also quite sensitive.
I’ve gone through A LOT of trial and error to find products that won’t make me breakout or make my skin all red and itchy.
Of course, everyone reacts differently to different products. But I’d still like to share my list of products that I’ve personally tried, which have helped soothe my acne and/or my sensitive skin.
These products worked for me, and I hope they’ll work for you too! 😀
The Cetaphil range of products helps me soothe my skin. At the very least, they never cause breakouts, and they don’t irritate my skin. Even the dermatology clinic I’ve gone to in KL, Ko Skin Specialist, advised that I use this brand in my daily skin care routine.
Cetaphil has a wide range of products that are:
- gentle on the skin
- specially formulated for normal, oily, and combination skin (I have combination, what about you?)
- fragrance-free (super important for me because those chemicals that give a product its fragrance may cause allergic reactions)
- ideal for acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, and chronic dry skin
Try these Cetaphil products:
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser – RM34 (250ml) on Lazada. It received 4.3/5 stars out of 684 customer reviews on Amazon.
- Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar – RM31.10 (127g) on Lazada. It’s great for travel. Received 4.5/5 stars out of 918 customer reviews on Amazon.
- Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion – RM58.90 (200ml) on Lazada. It can be used for face AND body. A bit goes a long way, and it moisturises your skin without making it feel oily/greasy. Received 4.5/5 stars out of 568 customer reviews on Amazon.
- Cetaphil Sun SPF50+ Light Gel – RM92.30 (50ml) on Lazada. It’s a lightweight sunscreen that offers high broad spectrum sun protection against UVA/UVB rays for both your face and body.
This is a great drug store brand that does the job at the right price. I like their moisturisers in particular. A little goes a long way. These moisturisers never make me break out and never irritate my skin. And they’re suitable for Malaysia’s hot and humid weather conditions.
Neutrogena’s range of products are:
- non-comedogenic (does not contain ingredients that tend to cause blackheads by blocking the pores of the skin)
- oil-free, dye-free, and fragrance-free
Try these Neutrogena moisturisers:
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF15 Moisturiser – RM27.52 (100ml) on Lazada. This is my daily moisturiser. It’s a lightweight, non-greasy moisturiser with sun protection.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturiser – RM52 (50ml) on Lazada. It received 4.3/5 stars out of 1,633 customer reviews on Amazon. This lightweight gel moisturiser boosts hydration and feels nice and cool upon application.
When I first discovered LUSH, I found heaven. The store smells soooo good, and their products are cruelty-free, gentle on the skin, and pretty effective if you go by reviews alone.
- are gentle on the skin
- smell super yummy
- are NOT tested on animals
- are handmade and 100% vegetarian (so no chemicals that are bad for the skin)!
Try these LUSH wonders:
- LUSH Mask of Magnaminty – this cleansing and exfoliating face/body mask is the bomb dot com!! It comes with kaolin clay, peppermint oil, and ground aduki beans to cleanse and gently exfoliate your skin. It really makes your skin feel all nice and tingly, without being too harsh or abrasive. Received 4.6/5 stars out of 1,089 customer reviews on LUSH.
- LUSH Aqua Marina – is a calming calamine face and body cleanser. It helps calm irritated, sensitive skin with skin-soothing ingredients like cooling aloe vera and pink calamine powder in a cleansing kaolin clay base. There’s also bits of mineral-rich nori seaweed in it. I use it whenever my skin feels itchy and it really helps. It has a 4.4/5 star rating out of 586 customer reviews on LUSH.
4. Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay
This viral facial mask product is the number 1 selling mask on Amazon right now.
The Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay is a deep pore cleansing facial and body mask that is 100% calcium bentonite clay, which is said to have a high concentration of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium.
This clay is known to absorb and removes toxins, so it’s used as a detoxifying agent in a lot of facial products.
My friend gave me some of hers to try and I liked it very much.
I put it on for about 5 -10 minutes and when I removed it, my skin felt nice and clean. My skin was a bit red after removing it – probably because of the “vacuuming” effect it had to clean my clogged pores – but the redness went away after a few minutes.
Some people recommend mixing it with equal parts of water and ACV (apple cider vinegar) for extra ooomph. I just stuck with water to soften the clay because I’ve tried using diluted ACV on my face before and my skin did not like it at all. Heh. But that’s just me.
I saw clearer skin after a few uses (3 times per week). I still use it to this day now and then.
Get it Amazon:
- Aztec Secret – Indian Healing Clay – received 4.4/5 stars out of a whopping 19,591 customer reviews on Amazon!
5. TOYO Cure Natural Aqua Gel Skin Exfoliator
Exfoliation is part of good skin care. It helps to remove built up dead skin cells so your pores don’t get clogged, which can result in pimples. And when you remove the deal cells from your face, it’s easier for your skin to absorb all the good stuff you’re trying to massage in like moisturiser and serums.
The question is, can you exfoliate acne prone and/or sensitive skin?
Why yes, you can!
You just need to use an exfoliator that is gentle on the skin.
Here’s what I like about TOYO’s Cure Natural Aqua Gel:
- No harsh chemicals
- Uses an unique activated hydrogen water formula to gently and effectively exfoliate skin
- Made up of 91% water
- Scent-free, colour-free, alcohol-free, and preservative-free
Cure Natural Aqua Gel is by far the best skin exfoliator for acne prone skin that I’ve tried. It’s also the best skin exfoliator for sensitive skin. Yay for double duty products!
- TOYO Cure Natural Aqua Gel Skin Exfoliator – received 4.1/5 out of 2,351 customer reviews on Amazon.
6. Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
I’ve tried so many toners, till at one point, I even questioned why I needed toner in the first place.
Then one day I stumbled upon the Thayers witch hazel toner as I was browsing the Internet. It’s the number 1 toner on Amazon, and for good reason. It tightens pores, controls oil production, and locks in moisture – all without alcohol, a usual ingredient in toners.
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera – RM102.60 (355ml, Twin Pack) on Lazada. It received 4.6/5 stars out of 4,134 customer reviews on Amazon. It’s gentle, refreshing, and smells oh-so-good.
Skin care in Korea is a BIG thing, so you can never go wrong with Korean face products. I found out about this cult-favourite K-beauty brand a couple of years ago.
These are my favourite Cosrx products that I recommend you try:
- Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch – RM12 (24 patches) on Lazada. It received 4.2/5 stars out of 859 customer reviews on Amazon. I use this hydrocolloid pimple patch whenever I have a yucky, pus-filled pimple. Hydrocolloid is made up of gel-forming agents that adhere to your skin and protect your pimple from touching/rubbing. The agents in hydrocolloid absorb fluid and provide a moist environment for your pimple to heal faster. This pimple patch has worked wonders for me, more so than any other pimple patch I’ve tried.
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence – RM55.90 (100ml) on Lazada. It received 3.9/5 stars out of 846 customer reviews on Amazon. This gentle, fragrance-free essence hydrates and repairs irritated skin. I use it when my skin needs a bit of a pick me up.
8. Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Brightup
This is my go-to makeup remover to get rid of makeup residue and dirt.
It’s a gentle, water-based makeup remover that helps add and seal in moisture. I like it because I don’t have to rub it in. I just apply some to a cotton pad and gently wipe off my makeup. It cleans my face really fast, which is great after a late night out.
- Bifesta Cleansing Lotion Brightup – RM27.98 (300ml) on Hermo. contains vitamin C, lactic acid (a dead cell softener), and absorptive hyaluronic acid (moisturiser). It’s light and non-sticky.
What products do you recommend for people who have acne or sensitive skin? Share your comments below! 🙂